We’ve compiled another local community resource for you to use in times of need. If you find yourself facing one of the following scenarios hopefully the info in this guide will prepare you for what’s ahead.

The importance of good insurance cover

Whether you’re a home owner or you are just renting – It’s vital that you choose the right protection for your circumstances. If a disaster does happen – it could mean the difference between having somewhere to go straight away or having the extra hassle of making arrangements yourself. We are looking for a local insurance broker who can help our local members find the best insurance cover.

Smell Gas

If you smell gas, call the gas emergency number on 0800 111 999.

In the event of an emergency

  • Do not smoke or light matches
  • Do not turn electrical switches on or off
  • Open doors and windows
  • Turn off the meter at the control handle unless the meter is in the cellar
  • Call the National Gas Emergency number (0800 111 999)

General safety advice

  • Get your gas appliances checked annually by a Gas Safe-registered engineer
  • Always check IDs before allowing anyone into your home

Gas safety in rented properties

  • Speak to your landlord about making sure the boiler is serviced annually
  • Ask for a copy of the safety certificate to be sure

Signs of a faulty boiler

  • Soot around the appliance
  • A yellow or orange weak flame instead of blue flame
  • A pilot light which blows out easily

Water leaking in or around the house

From United Utilities

Leaks in road or footpath

We’re doing all we can to prevent leaks, but if you see one in the road or footpath, please report it. As soon as we know about a leak we can sort it! Please report it here.

Leaks in your home

If you think you may have a leak in your home, our step-by-step guide (PDF 556 KB opens in a new window) will help you locate it. You’re responsible for repairing any leaks you find on the pipework inside your home. Our need a plumber page will help you find a plumber you can trust.

Leaks on your water supply pipe

The water supply pipe is the pipe which brings water into your home from our main in the street. You are responsible for the maintenance of this pipe however, if you find a leak on this pipe we may be able to repair it under the terms of our private leak investigation scheme (PDF 659 KB opens in a new window). The video opposite explains this in more detail.

Blocked drains

From United Utilities

Unless you’re a plumber, it’s often hard to know where the blockage is and who owns which bit of the pipework.

It’s worth having a quick look at who looks after what inside and outside the boundary of your home on our sewers and drains explained page.

If you’re still unsure, don’t worry. We’re happy to help get the problem sorted, and the quickest way is to visit our online tool here.

If it’s our responsibility (or we’re not sure), we’ll send one of our engineers out to have a look. We’ll always try to let you know when we’ll be able to get to you and, if it changes, we’ll try to keep you informed.

When we come out to look at the blockage, we’ll confirm if the blocked pipework belongs to us. If it does, we’ll clear it for free and try to investigate the cause of the blockage.

If the blockage is within your own private drains, unfortunately we can’t clear it for you, but we’ll try to offer advice on how you can sort the problem. 

Electrical Problems

For live info on local power outages you can check with Electricity NorthWest – HERE

If you suspect you have a fault in your home that you or your landlord may be responsible for – it’s always best to isolate the supply if you know how to or call in an emergency electrician.

We will be compiling a list of recommended local emergency electricians HERE – if you’d like to recommend an electrician to us please email admin@blackpoolcommunitychat.co.uk

Localised Flooding

The environment agency maintain a map of localised flooding events that are predicted or expected. You can find info of that HERE

If you want to report localised flooding which is causing a road closure you can repot it using the police non emergency number on 101 and they will direct appropriate resources to the area. Once you’ve done that we would appreciate if you could email us a picture and a description of what’s happened to admin@blackpoolcommunitychat.co.uk so we can let our members know.

Structural emergencies

You’ll likely need to call the emergency services at first in case there is a risk to others in the local area. Once an initial assessment is made you will likely need to find a local building contractor to help secure the property whilst a plan is devised and insurers are consulted.

Roofing Emergencies

You may need to contact the emergency services if your roof is at risk of falling or causing further damage.

You will need to consult with your insurer who may appoint an approved local contractor to help you make the structure safe.

If you do not have an insurer you may need to contact a contractor yourself and we will be compiling a list of locals to call HERE

Temporary emergency accommodation

Blackpool council has issues the following advice to anyone who finds themselves without a home. We will soon have a list of Hotels with 24 hour check in available if you prefer / are able to pay for your own temporary accommodation.

Blackpool Council Guidance as follows

As you are aware, the Government has imposed strict guidelines to protect the public during the arrival of CoVid19.  For this reason, we ask that you do not attend the office unless there is no alternative.  Instead, where possible, please call us on 01253 477760 if you are homeless today.  We can assess your homeless application over the telephone and we will ring you back if you need us to. 

An emergency is if you:

  • Have no where to live or need to leave your home immediately (for example, you are experiencing domestic violence or abuse)

 In cases of violence against you we would advise you to go to the nearest police station.

Telephone opening times

  • 9.00am to 5.00pm Monday, Tuesday, and Thursday
  • 1.00pm to 5.00pm Wednesday
  • 9.00am to 4.30pm Friday

Alternatively you can e-mail us housing.options@blackpool.gov.uk

Outside of our opening hours we provide an out of hours service, for emergencies only, on telephone 01253 477600.

Office opening hours

If you do not have access to a telephone and are homeless today you can come to our offices on Chapel Street. This will be a limited services for people who are in urgent need (i.e. homeless that day) and have no access to phones.

If you are unable to access the telephone and in urgent need, our office opening hours are:

  • 1.00pm to 4.30pm Monday to Friday

Rough sleepers

If you are sleeping on the streets telephone Housing Option on 01253 477760.  Only attend our office on Chapel Street if you do not have access to a telephone.

Housing Options will still undertake regular street outreach to identify new rough sleepers and safeguard those at risk due to the virus.  Where ever possible we will try to accommodate rough sleepers. 

More information on your rights

If you want more information about your housing rights and the council’s duties please visit Shelter’s website

For additional support, including access to food and emergency provision, please visit the Food Partnership website 

If you are a member of the public and have identified a rough sleeper, you can telephone us direct on 01253 477765, or email us at HSAT@blackpool.gov.uk 

Other options

You can contact the Blackpool Community Homeless project during office hours who may be able to offer help or signposting to other help.

Emergency clothing and white goods

There is a service called Care and Share Blackpool based in Mereside at 5 Tarnside, Blackpool FY4 4RD. You can email ahead but access is usually by appointment only – info@careandshare.org.uk

It’s founder Linda Mcavelly can help with items that have been donated to her service to help families in need.

Everything from bath towels and bedding to coats hats and gloves. If you’ve been displaced and need something in an emergency – Care and share will help you out.

If you wish to collect or donate clothing, kitchen ware, crockery, cutlery or white goods, bedding towels or any other items of clothing that might find a useful life with another family you can arrange with Linda to drop off at 5 Tarnside, Blackpool FY4 4RD at a time that’s suitable for her. This service is by appointment only as she does have other matters to attend to and manages this still in her spare time.


If you would like us to amend or add anything on this page lease email us at admin@blackpoolcommunitychat.co.uk

Skip to toolbar